It’s about time!

You may remember I mentioned in my last post that I am taking an Interviewing class this semester. That being the case, it makes sense that I would have to write a résumé for class! Besides, I need an updated résumé to apply for graduate school, jobs, etc. And you need a résumé too! Whether you’re applying for college, scholarships, on-campus jobs, summer jobs, or asking a professor or supervisor for a letter of recommendation, providing a résumé is a great way to highlight your skills and accomplishments! So, in the spirit of résumé season and doing my homework, let’s review a few tips that I’ve picked up over the last few years.

1. A good résumé should be tailored to the skills and expectations of whatever position you are applying for.
  2. Always keep it professional! Slang, misspellings, superfluous lines and decorations–they’re all just distracting!
  3. Use your full name on the top of the page. You wouldn’t want to be confused with anybody else!
  4. Include an objective. This part is optional but can be a great way to show what you’re interested in, especially if you don’t have a personal statement or cover letter to send.
  5. Try to use action verbs instead of passive language and.
A résumé is like your own personal salesmen, trying to win your an interview. Once you’ve got the interview booked, you can let your personality and skills shine through and then it’s all down hill from there!
No matter what you’re applying for–whether it’s graduate school and jobs like I’m applying for, or summer employment and colleges–making a résumé is just one step in the process. And I’m definitely glad that I have this Interviewing class to make sure mine is in tiptop shape!

When it comes down to applying for important stuff for after graduation, I just have to keep reminding myself…