I can’t believe it! I’m still in shock!

On Saturday, I was named the Indiana Residence Hall Organization’s (IRHO) Student of the Year for 2011-2012!

I have been highly involved on campus since I first came to Ball State almost four years ago, but I never expected this…
IRHO is sort of like the state-wide version of the Residence Hall Association that I am president of at Ball State. It’s a gathering of student leaders from residence hall organizations from campuses all over Indiana to share ideas, collaborate on projects, and work together to advance leadership skills and personal development. Each year, elected student representatives (called Hoosier Communication Coordinators, or HCCs) from each of the member campuses get together at the IRHO Conference (IRHOC–pronounced like “I rock”) to work on legislation and select winners for such awards as Student of the Year and Executive Board Member of the Year, among many others. These HCCs also bring along student delegations and professional advisors from their schools. While the HCCs are in the boardroom working on official IRHO business, these delegations and advisors attend programming sessions, roundtable discussions, and impromptu cheer sessions! I have had the extreme pleasure of attending two of these conferences (the first in 2009 at St. Mary’s College in South Bend, IN, and the second in 2010 at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, IN) during my time at Ball State and they were both a blast! Unfortunately, though, I was unable to attend this year (for reasons I will explain in my next post). I had been nominated for Student of the Year by Ball State’s representatives to the conference and had worked closely with our HCC to create a bid for the award: check out my bid!

And Saturday night I found out while I was at work! It was all I could do to keep from shrieking and crying, which would have been more than a little embarrassing… but don’t worry, I held myself together for the most part! :)

I was not the only Ball State student honored that night though. Rachel Spudic, who is the Public Relations Director for RHA, was named Executive Board Member of the Year! Check out her bid! Additionally, the Ball State delegation at the conference brought home awards for Best Display, Best Roll Call, Most Spirited Delegation, and Top Program. All in all, we had a stellar showing at IRHOC 2012!

If you’re interested in this conference or others like it (such as those for GLACURH or NACURH), I encourage you to check out Ball State’s Residence Hall Association! We’ve always got a ton of awesome opportunities to get involved and have a great time!